Saturday, July 28, 2012

Jurassic Park Island has always been......

Jurassic park has always been one of my favorite franchises. I first read the novel way back when I was in middle school. It was in that same year that Spielberg, announced he was making the film. I'm even a fan of the popularly hatted Jurassic Park Three, because it took all the really cool parts from the first and second novels that were not used in the films and combined them together. As I'm sitting here playing and really enjoying Jurassic Park Builder on my ipad/iphone, which you can get free HERE, i recall how disappointed I was in Jurassic Park Island. It could have been something fantastic. When I heard about Islands of Adventure being built and that it was going to have a Jurassic Park Island, I was super stoked. This was my Harry Potter. When the park finally opened, as I said before, I was disappointed. Especially with its big attraction, Jurassic Park River Adventure. The robotics were cool and going through the big iconic Jurassic Park gates with the movie music playing and hearing "welcome to Jurassic Park" does set at very an exciting tone. However, there is something very off about it. You are in a boat and not a tracked SUV. Why oh why, did you go with a river boat ride Universal? Everybody wanted to ride in the tracked, Ford Explorer you saw in the movie and experience the movie and the Trex attack that we remembered. A boat ride that gets you wet is overkill. You have two other water rides in close proximity, Bluto's Bildge Rat Barges, and Duddly Do-Right's Rip Saw Falls. Plus I couldn't even ride the Pteranodon Flyers, what's the deal with that!? Having the visitors center was cool, but again I wanted to board the cars at its entrance just like in the film. Even the interior of the visitors center was lacking. It didn't look like the film, and there was no tour taking you through the labs with Mr. DNA. The lab was instead crammed into the lower level amid silly kid stations. Unfortunately, the cool dinosaurs on the attraction deteriorated fast. Not sure if that's due to the water, open sun, both or either. Regardless, I have been on the ride countless times only to be greeted by giant tacky tarps covering non functioning/damaged/refurbishing Dinos. So much potential was lost with this land. I look at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and I see what could have been possible.
There are a few things I do like about it. The child's play area Camp Jurassic, is full of places you can climb explore and get lost. It has a lot of fun hidden GEMS located inside if you start looking. It also has some very cool coves and nooks that just are well designed and are fun to explore. I also enjoy the raptor hatching out of the egg at the visitors center even If it's not on the tour ride you saw in the film. And finally, my favorite thing is Triceratops Encounter, it's truly a nice way to make the whole area seem real. Never seen it before click HERE to see my video of it. It was closed for such a long time, but thanks to funds coming in due to Potter, Universal was able to afford to repair at least one Dino and have it open. It's unfortunately only open on really high attendance. You wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't know where to look. Next time your there look for the big flat rock that has a Triceratops fossil in it. You'll see a bar that looked like it use to say something on it. This is the entrance to the attraction. Maybe you'll get lucky and get to see it.
I still hold out hope that someday that Trex attack ride will be made, but unless the franchise gets risen from the dead I seriously doubt it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment